The Q&A Archives: Dracaena Massangeana Has Sprouted Flowers!

Question: I have had a Dracaena Massangeana (Corn Plant) for 2 years, it's doing beautifully and recently I noticed a stem growing from the top with very fragrant flowers. I've never seen this before in a Corn Plant and would like to know how often this happens,what to expect next, and will these flowers produce seeds that I could start new plants from?

Answer: Congratulations! It is unusual for Dracaena to flower in captivity! You must be making your plant very happy and it's rewarding you with flowers. Enjoy the flowers (they're quite fragrant!) and expect your plant to produce flowers on an annual basis. In the tropics, where Dracaena grows outdoors, the flowers are followed by red berries which contain viable seeds. Indoors, without insect activity, the flowers won't be pollinated - unless you'd like to try transferring pollen from one flower to another. If so, the berries could contain viable seeds and you might be able to start new plants.