The Q&A Archives: Dog Digging

Question: I have a dog who loves to dig in our erstwhile flower beds - are there any plants which dogs don t like that I can plant in these beds to deter them from entering the flower area - I don t want to erect a fence if at all possible (The Boss says NO FENCE! )<br>

Answer: I don t know of plants that will keep dogs from the garden, other than spiny ones, which aren t hospitable to humans, either. One thing you can try to frustrate the dog s habit is to pin chicken wire to the ground in the beds. Unless your dog is very tenacious and very strong, they ll soon find digging unrewarding. <br><br>Some gardeners find success using homemade repellents. Here s one I found in R.M. Hart s book Bugs, Slugs & Other Thugs" : mix a tablespoon or two of Lysol disinfectant with a gallon of water, and sprinkle this on the ground around your plants. Keep it off the plants, since it can burn the leaves. If your pooch has a sensitive nose, this should keep him/her away. There are also commercial repellents available, such as Get Off My Garden (sold by Gurney s Seed & Nursery, 110 Capital St., Yankton, SD 57079; ph# 605/665-1930). Check with your vet, too - they may know of a local source or of another reliable remedy. Hope this helps!