The Q&A Archives: White Insects On Brugamasia

Question: I have three large brugamasias I overwinter in the basement. When I brought them out this Spring one was infested with white mealy bugs the size of this period. They can hop also. I have tried different sprays and hand washing them with water. The leaves wither. I have cut one of them back to just stalks. Can you tell me what I am fighting (name of insect) and what you would suggest I use. Did the insects come out of the soil? Or were they on the plants and I didn't notice them during the Winter?

Answer: Spraying weekly with insecticidal soap will deter these pests. You should be able to purchase insecticidal soap at your local garden center. You can also try spraying with a soapy water mixture. Or, try dabbing individual bugs witha Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol. Stick with it and you can kill those pests!

Insect eggs can overwinter in the soil and on plant parts. The juveniles are very tiny and even if you closely inspected your plants before taking them in for the winter, you may have overlooked a few. It doesn't take many before there's a population to surge!