The Q&A Archives: Eastern White Pine Trees

Question: Presently, I have about 10 eastern white pine trees approx 15 feet in height, planted approximately 10 feet on center, in a linear fashion as a property line separator. They get full sun and are planted in flat soil free of rocks. I do not fertilize them or prune them. Although, their branches are overgrowing into each other.

I've lost three trees, they turn brown and basically halt in growth. When I dig them out they appear to be very brittle.

I do not see any insects on the trees.

What can I do to prevent this from happening to the others?

Answer: It may be that the trees are beginning to compete with each other for water and nutrients and the weakest growers are losing out. It may be that encircling roots not untwined at planting are beginning to take their toll on the trees, if the roots are still in a circle underground. It may be that there is a disease problem or pest problem that you have not noticed. You might want to consult with your county extension (285-4620) as to what is happening, just in case it is something that could spread and could be prevented.