The Q&A Archives: Fungus On My Roses?

Question: I have been having problems with my roses. When I planted my roses over a month ago they were healthy and green with lots of buds. At first they did just fine. I gave them a nice bed with manure and mulch. I have made sure to water them on a regular basis due to our hot Florida days and lack of rain. But recently my roses have not been doing to well. They started turning powdery and then yellow and brown and falling off. My grandfather sugested that it could be a bug eating them. So he suggested that I make sure and remove the brown leaves and throw them away in the garbage as to not effect the other leaves.But it has had no affect. I have fertilized and used an insect, mite, and disese control spray. Could it be a fungus? What should I try next?

Answer: If the rose leaves have a powdery coating, I'd suspect powdery mildew is the cause of your rose troubles. Powdery mildew overwinters on living plants, and can be difficult to eradicate. There are some things you can do to minimize its effects. Powdery mildew is unique among plant diseases in that it doesn't require a wet leaf surface to spread. It can thus thrive during hot, dry weather. The first line of defense is to grow resistant varieties.

Here are some general rules for control. Start by making sure that your plants are getting enough direct sunlight. (Eight to ten hours a day is generally the minimum for plants that flower or bear fruit.) You'll also want to make sure that there's enough room between plants for air to circulate freely. Overcrowding not only makes plants more susceptible to diseases, if leaves touch other plants, those diseases can easily be spread. The general advice to inhibit the spread of fungal diseases is to avoid wetting leaf surfaces. In the case of powdery mildew, you can actually inhibit infection with periodic strong sprays of water (not so strong as to damage the plant.) Good cultural practices and spraying with water is about the only organic method for controlling powdery mildew.

Alternatively, after the new growth of affected plants reaches about six inches long and UNTIL THE TEMPERATURE REACHES 90 degrees F, you may apply dusting sulfur to foliage every 14 days. If necessary apply fungicide. Fungicide works much better as a preventative measure, before the powdery mildew becomes a problem. These would not be considered organic methods.