The Q&A Archives: Summer Floering Bulbs

Question: Hi, I'm looking for summer flowering bulbs at my front yard ground cover area. We have about 5' x 10' Pachysandra ground cover area in front yard . The area gets morning sun since it's facing east. We have an old Sycamore tree growing at the corner of the area. For several years, we've been enjoying Tulip growing on the ground cover and they look marvelous in the early and mid spring time. We'd like to find right perrenial bulbs flowering after Tulips gone. Please help us to select right bulbs so we could enjoy the flowers in the summer as well.

Answer: Your spring display sounds lovely! Unfortunately, most of the summer flowering bulbs prefer full sun all day long and a very warm location. You might have luck with caladiums which would provide a very attractive foliage contrast. However, they may have some difficulty coming up through the dense mat of pachysandra. You will also need to disturb the pachysandra in spring to plant the caladiums and again in fall to lift them for storage since they are not winter hardy. Perhaps a large attractive container filled with annuals would serve the purpose instead?