The Q&A Archives: Christmas Rose

Question: I got a plant at the garden sale a couple of weeks ago and it had the little things where it had bloomed on it and was fairly healthy looking. I planted it in partial shade, it gets morning sun under an evergreen. My problem is it seems to be turning yellow. I don't know anything about them. Is there anything special I'm supposed to do for it?

Answer: Helleborus niger, or Christmas Rose, is an elegant plant growing to 1 foot tall and 1 1/2 feet wide. Leaves appear in groups and seem to rise directly from the soil. The plant thrives in shade and needs alkaline soil and regular water. I suspect your plant is unhappy in its current location with morning sunshine. Move it to a shady spot, keep the soil moist but not soggy wet, and it should regain its health.