The Q&A Archives: Identify A Plant

Question: This plant has come up in a wild flower mix that I threw out this spring. I threw away the bag, so I don't know what choices I have. It's leaves look like an aspragrus fern leaves & has complex flower. Some are white some are a light blue. Some have many petals, some have just a single row around the center. The center is very complex & hard to discribe, but is is green & has many pistals that open slowing with some that get longer & curl.

It has these fern like leaves that come up aroung the flower, like a little cage protecting the flower. It is very airy & dainty. There are alot of them & are less than a foot high. I will be glad to receive any help you can give me. thanks, Raven

Answer: Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella)is my first thought. It's an old-fashioned favorite for cottage gardens, growing from 1 to 1 1/2 feet tall, with semi-double white, or corn flower blue blossoms. When the flowers dry they are transformed into curious papery-textured, horned seed capsules.