The Q&A Archives: Dividing Calla Lillies

Question: I have just started gardening and know little about how to treat plants(but I'm a willing learner). I have a bunch of white calla lillies in my yard that are beautiful but seem very packed together. They all flowered last season and look as if they will do this year too but should I be dividing them? If so how do I do it and when?

Thank you

Answer: Zantedeschia, the calla lily, prefers to be somewhat crowded, so I'd suggest waiting to see how they perform this year. If blooms are sparse they can be divided. If they bloom well, they do not require dividing. When you decide it's time to divide, wait until fall, they dig, divide, and set rhizomes 2" deep and 8"-12" apart in organically enriched, well draining, slightly acidic soil.