The Q&A Archives: Squash With No Fruits

Question: I had lots of flowers on my squash and pumpkins but no fruits.

Answer: Squash and pumpkins rely on bees to pollinate their flowers, and during cold wet spells, the bees aren't able to do their job. Sometimes the plants just seem to need our help to pollinate the flowers. You can use a soft brush and pick up some of the pollen from the male flower (the smaller ones) and dust it in the center of the female flowers. Another culprit could be heavy rains or winds that knock off the flowers before pollination has taken place. We heard from quite a few people with similar problems with their squash this past summer. Next summer, to get your plants off to the best possible start, add compost or aged manure to the soil, then cover it with black plastic to warm up the soil before planting.