The Q&A Archives: I'm Looking For A Flowering Vine...........

Question: years ago i used to have a vine growing at the side of my house, it was a vine with the most beautiful flowers i have ever seen. the vine also had a fruit attatched. the fruit had seeds in it, and was kind of sweet. well, the flower is hard to describe, it was star shaped (five segments), with yellow, and purple and inside, there were three small nodule things with pollen on them [you can probably tell by now that my plant knowledge is lacking Smiling ]

well, there is a commercial on tv for, and they show the flower on it. i cant seem to find it in the many searches i have done, and i would appreciate any help in where to go or where to look to find such a plant.

thank you for your help

Answer: Passiflora is the plant you're describing. It's commonly called passion flower. The plant likes full sunshine and regular watering during the growing season. It's a vigorous growing plant and needs to be pruned every year to keep it form getting tangled and unruly. Use it on a trellis or wall to show off the spectacular flowers it produces all summer.