The Q&A Archives: Help Identify Plant

Question: I bought an "un-tagged" hanging basket at a garden dept at Target. It is flourishing on my front porch still in it's original container. It's leaves are similar to a philodaneron, it vines like one as well, but it seems more delicate, lighter weight and a very very light green color. It wilts if not watered 2x a day, but I was unable to root it in water like I would a philodanderum(sp?). What might it be?

Answer: You may have a green leafed variety of tradescantia, although this can be rooted from tip cuttings as one would a philodendron. If the plant is wilting so frequently, it may need repotting. Repotting into fresh soil along with the resulting reduction in water stress and possibly some fertilization might bring the color to a deeper green as well.