The Q&A Archives: Can I Pue This Plant Here?!

Question: My school is crating a Japanese garden in a courtyard created by an addition of a new wing. I would like to put some sort of covering on a brick wall in the back of a dry garden I am in charge of planning. I was wondering if I could put japanese honeysuckle on it or if it would start to pull the bricks away. If I can't put the honeysuckle there what can I? Thanks for answering my question I really appreciate your help!

Answer: Japanese honeysuckle is not recommended for planting due to its invasiveness. Instead, you might consider a native plant such as the Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus) which would be self clinging and would tolerate dry soil once established. It also turns a lovely bright red in the fall.