The Q&A Archives: Brown Tips On Sad Irises

Question: I am an amatuer gardener. Someone gave me 2 dozen beared irises 2 years ago and they are barely hanging on. They come up but stop at less than 1 foot tall and now the tips are turning brown. We have extremely sandy soil and most of our yard is partial shade. Help!! Thanks! Laura

Answer: Bearded iris need full sun, a rich soil, and a well drained soil; during the spring when they are growing and blooming, they also appreciate ample water. You might try transplanting them to a sunnier location with well prepared soil. When planting, make sure you plant the rhizomes so that the upper surface is not buried. Also, discard the oldest toughest portions of rhizome and replant only the most vigorous younger sections. Finally, discard any that are mushy and trim away any discolored foliage as soon as it occurs. Good luck with your iris.