The Q&A Archives: Bougainvillea Trellis

Question: I have two young bougainvillea that I want to train up the side of a two-story the house. What is the best method to "attach" them to the house?

Answer: You'll want to create a space between the vines and the side of the house - to ensure air circulation, and to keep the vines from creeping under the siding and causing problems. The easiest approach is to attach wires to the roof overhang and run them directly down to the ground, securing them with eyebolts into an anchored landscape timber. Space the wires about 12" apart. As your bougainvillea grows, train the vines up the wires (use twist ties to keep them in place). As more vines develop they will attach themselves to the existing vines. Don't forget to remove the twist ties in a year or so!