The Q&A Archives: Cutting Back Of A Purple Nandina (heavenly Bamboo)

Question: I have a purple nandina about 3 years old. The snow broke off two large branches this last winter. It is growing quite tall and lanky and I was wondering if I could top it to make it branch out and become fuller. Thanks for your help. Judy Anderson

Answer: Begin by pruning away the damaged branches. You can renew your nandina by pruning some of the oldest canes down to the ground. If you simply clip the foliage back, you'll end up with a bare section towards the bottom and lots of foliage on top (a little like a lollipop!). New stems will grow from the crown of the plant if you cut the older stems down. After 2-3 years of removing the oldest wood, you'll eventually have a shorter plant with newer stems.