The Q&A Archives: Lifespan Of Rosemary

Question: I bought it as a small plant three years ago . It has since grown and I just trimmed it down to a foot of healthy (not brown) foliage. It has not grown since. a friend said that rosemary plants don't do so well in my region and may be a triannual. Is this true. If not how can I help it to grow?

Answer: Healthy rosemaries can live for decades, so there is no basis for assuming it lives only three years. Many people however have trouble growing rosemary at home and few manage to overwinter it and so might consider it an "annual"! If you have had the plant for three years and it has been growing well, it may need to be repotted into fresh soil. If you do so, try to match the new soil to the old so that they drain at the same rate. Your plant may also need some time to recover from the pruning, a severe pruning can be a bit of a shock. You mgiht provide it with a light feeding during the growing season. Finally, if you have had the plant for three years you must be taking good care of it. Continue doing what you are doing!