The Q&A Archives: Growing Bush Beans

Question: I have not had any luck in raising bush variety of beans. Please give me the best soil make up to grow these beans.

Answer: Beans grow well in a wide range of soils, and they only require fertilizer if a soil test shows that the soil fertility is low. Then you can mix a complete fertilizer into the top 3 or 4 inches of soil before planting. Beans, like other legumes, can capture atmospheric nitrogen and convert it into a form of fertilizer. They do this with the aid of Rhizobium bacteria present in the soil. You can coat the seeds with this bacterium inoculant before planting to ensure that the soil contains the bacteria. Theinoculant is available at garden centers and mail-order seed companies. Perhaps this will help improve your yield of beans.