The Q&A Archives: Grapes In Zone 4

Question: I have one each seedless Concord and Canadice that I planted 4 years ago. Each spring they sprout new vines only near the base of the plants, none higher than about 10" and have never born fruit. Last year they each had several flower clusters for the first time but they dried up and fell off the vines. The vines themselves grow well to the top of the 6' trellis and beyond but each year start again from ground zero. Are these vines not hardy in zone 4? What kind can I grow in this area?

Answer: Both those varieties are hardy grapes, and since the vines are growing well I don't think that's the problem. Also, often vines won't bear a crop for the third or fourth year, so your vines may be on track. You didn't mention if you fertilized, which will promote flower and fruit set. After growth starts in the spring, spread about one cup of 10-10-10 around each vine about one foot to two feet away from the trunk. Water well before and after applying to prevent burn. Hope this info helps!