The Q&A Archives: Iresine herbstii

Question: I was given a plant that the person told me went by the name of chicken gizzard, Iresine herbstil Brilliantisaima but i can not find any one that knows about this plant in my area. can you give me any and all info you may have. sun? shade? house plant? any thing would be of help

Answer: Iresine herbstii is also called Bloodleaf. It's a tender perennial plant grown outdoors in the warmest winter areas or as an indoor plant everywhere else. The plant grows 1'-3' high and wide, needs bright light and moist soil. The leaves are 1"-2" long, oval, and notched at the tips. Leaf color may be pruplish red with lighter midrib and veins, or green or bronze with yellowish veins. Stems may be green, pruple or red. Pinch plant tips for bushiness.