The Q&A Archives: Brown Spots On Leaves Of Mountain Laurel

Question: Some of the leaves on my mountain laurel have dark brown spots and a few leaves are turning yellow and falling off. What might be the cause and what should I do?
Thank you!

There are a several fungal diseases of Mountain Laurel that cause leaf spotting and death. The fact that leaves are yellowing and falling off may indicate a pH problem that has led to iron deficiency. If the shrub is newly planted, it may simply be suffering some transplant shock and is shedding some leaves as a survival measure.

If the shrub has been established for some time, please visit this link to the University of Illinois Extension Web site that shows photos of the two most common leaf spot diseases, and provides detailed information on how to care for your shrub to ensure it's health and prevent further problems:

Since it sounds like the problem has affected only a few leaves on your plants, you should not have to resort to the use of Benlate, which is suggested in the above bulletin for severe infections. If you choose to use Benlate, be sure to follow the products usage instructions exactly. Best of luck to you!