The Q&A Archives: Small Black Bugs On Rose Of Sharon Tree

Question: I have a Rose Of Sharon planted and thousands of small black bugs are attacking it and preventing it from blooming. Could you recomend something to kill the bugs without damaging the tree.

Answer:

In your situation, I first recommend getting a positive I.D. of the pest, because that's the only way to choose a truly effective solution. The possible culprits are aphids, which are tiny, soft-bodied pests that tend to congregate in masses on buds and new growth. First spray them off with a strong blast from your garden hose. Aphids can be controlled with insecticidal soap or neem spray as directed on the product label, both of which are friendlier to the environment than chemical options. Test any product on a few leaves before treating and entire plant to make sure the product isn't harmful to your plant.

I hope this information is helpful for the future. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "French Marigold"