The Q&A Archives: Perennial Selection For Formal Border

Question: I need assistance in selecting perennials to form a border in front of a row of shrubs on my front lawn. I planted clusters of dadffodils for the spring, but hoped to add some other plants to keep the flowers continuous.
I would prefer starting with plants vs seeds and need something that won't disrupt the bulbs. If possible, I'd be interested in several plants ie something red and tall in the back with something smaller and maybe yellow or purple.
Any suggestions you could provide would certainly be appreciated. Thanks

Answer: Daylilies (hemerocallis) and true lilies (Lilium) and threadleafed coreopsis can make good perennial companions to daffodils and would be available in the colors and sizes you mentioned. You might also look into liatris which is a more stiffly formal looking plant although it is available primarily in a purply pink.