The Q&A Archives: What Happened?

Question: I planted some perennials last night using the ingredients (horse manure, plantone,
green sand, ironite and super phosphate) This morning all three varieties of plants
were dug up out of the soil to the depth of my planting. What kind of animal do you
think did this and what can I do to prevent this in the future.?

Answer: You will need to do some detective work to find out for sure what animal did that, however squirrel, dog, woodchuck, crows and deer (and I suppose a mischievious child) are all possibilities. The plants should probably be alright if you replanted them immediately; to prevent critter damage you may need to make a wire mesh cage around them or try using a repellent, either commercially formulated or home made with garlic, egg and red pepper. Other steps would depend on what caused the damage.