The Q&A Archives: Growing Swiss Chard

Question: My dad grew great Swiss chard, but mine doesn't do so well. Can you give me some pointers on growing chard, including how I should fertilize it?

Answer: Swiss chard, like spinach, does well in a rich soil that is evenly moist and yet not soggy. A soil that is well prepared and deeply dug with ample organic matter added (such as well rotted manure and compost) will give you a good start. You may want to have your soil tested; the results will provide recommendations for adjusting pH and nutrient levels. Based on test results, you may want to apply a balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10, or an organic equivalent, according to the label instructions. Finally, occasional foliar feeds of compost tea and/or a seaweed-based fertilizer should do the trick for luxuriant growth.