The Q&A Archives: Curling Leaves On Shefflera

Question: I have a schefflera which is several years old, aprroximately 3 feet high. The color is good, but all the lower leaves
curl under. The new leaves come in flat, but then after a couple months, curl under. Afew have slightly brown tips, but the plant looks otherwise healthy. What can I do?
Thanks, Katie Thomas

Answer: The curling leaves might be natural - depending upon the degree of curl. New leaves are flat, but as they mature the edges strengthen and pull taut. This can make the leaflets curl downward slightly. It's perfectly normal. If, on the other hand, the leaves are cupped, I'd look for insect pests. The feeding of aphids or mealybugs can deplete tissues of fluids, making them cup dramatically. Check for pests, then make sure you're giving your schefflera all the cultural conditions possible to make it thrive. Provide average household temperatures (minimum 55F in winter). If possible avoid temperatures above 70F. Provide bright light but no direct sunshine. Water liberally from spring to autumn, water sparingly in winter. Schefflera prefers high humidity - mist leaves frequently.