The Q&A Archives: Cupped Leaves On Basil

Question: I planted 4 Basil Genovese plants that I bought at our local Lowes store a week ago. The new leaves are narrow, cupped either downward or upward and have brown edging. I pinched them off, but it looks like the other new leaves are going to be the same. They are also starting to look a little yellow. They are in a full sun location, they are watered regularly and they are spaced 1' apart. Anything I can do to save them? The older leaves look fine. Thanks!

Answer: Basil requires a warm soil and warm temperatures to grow well, so it is possible it is suffering from transplant shock and will grow out of it. The soil should be moist but not soaking wet for basil, so it is possible you might be overwatering it. Trimming away the misformed leaves will not hurt the plant and in fact may help it to grow back even bushier than it was before.