The Q&A Archives: Daylily Propagation

Question: I just planted many different daylilys and would like to try to start some more plants with the seeds I collect. The problem is I don't know how to collect the seeds, also do I do anything to them (I have read about refrigerating them) before planting or can I germinate them immediately after collecting them? How long do I leave the seedlings in the tray before transplanting them in the yard? Is this a year long process? Any help you can provide would be you must imagine, I'm NEW to gardening!

Answer: The seeds will need a cold treatment prior to germination. You can collect the seeds when they're available and save them for planting outdoors in the fall, or mix them together with moistened growing medium and refrigerate for 6 weeks prior to sowing. If you're sowing indoors, sow seed 1/8 deep and keep at 60F-70-F. Seeds will germinate in 6-7 weeks. Seedlings can be transplanted outdoors when they've developed three sets of leaves. Good luck with your daylilies!