The Q&A Archives: Watering Patio Plants

Question: I live in an apartment and have a large balcony garden that<br>is hard to water. Is there an adapter I can get to hook<br>up a garden hose to my kitchen sink to make watering go <br>faster?

Answer: You can purchase hose adapters in the gardening or plumbing sections of most large hardware stores, or through gardener's catalogs. Have you considered putting a whiskey barrel or large plastic trash can on your balcony to collect and store rainwater? If you had one filled with water you could dip out what you needed whenever your plants were thirsty. Another convenient solution is to fill plastic liter bottles with water, turn them upside down with the necks buried in the soil of your pots, and let the water trickle down to the roots of your containerized plants.