The Q&A Archives: Seven Sisters Rose

Question: My grandmother had a beautiful rose bush. When she passed on my father transplanted it to our yard and surprisingly enough it took well. When I had asked the name of the type of rose that it was - my father only knew it as "seven sisters". That was the name he was told by my grandmother. I have asked many about this and it all sounded very familiar to them but can not seem to find information on it any where. It was a very soft pink in color and had small clusters of roses, tight in formation. It was also a climber, i remember dad planted it by the fence and it just took hold of it and spread some. As when my father passed on I was unable to transplant it to my yard being the wicked step mother had claws out. I would love to find one and let my children experience the beauty of this rose bush. If you could help I would appreciate it greatly.

Answer: This sounds like a cross between a family affair and a fairytale quest--grandmothers, fathers, wicked stepmother...and seven sisters! Here's a page that shows a photo -- it fits the description you've given:

You can order it from:
Lowe's Own-Root Roses
6 Sheffield Road
Nashua, NH USA 03062
Telephone 603-888-2214

Roseraie at Bayfields
P.O. Box R
Waldoboro, ME USA 04572-0919
Telephone 207-832-6330
Fax 800-933-4508

Now the "family" can be reunited! Enjoy!