The Q&A Archives: Dividing Hostas

Question: I have a large hosta that I was wondering if I could divide now or if I should wait until the fall. It is starting to cover another hosta that is next to it. Also, how do I go about splitting it? It is quite large and I was told only in the fall or spring when they are very small can you divide them.

Answer: It is best to divide them in the very early spring when they are still emerging from the ground, or in the fall. However, they can be divided successfully during the spring and summer, too. This is a big job on large plants. Water the plant deeply the day before. Dig up the clump with all its roots and make divisions by cutting straight down between the crowns. Each resulting piece should have both foliage and corresponding roots attached. A six by six inch section, for instance, will make a nice plant but divisions of any size can be used. Replant immediately into prepared soil, setting the division at the same depth as it grew before. Water well and keep the soil moist as you would for any new hosta while it becomes established in the new location. You can also leave the plant in place and dig up just a portion of it, then fill in the resulting hole with good soil.