The Q&A Archives: Pine Tree

Question: i have a large pine tree growing outside the bedroom window of my condo....i would like to put some color out there....could you please tell me what would grow well under a pine...thank you ...madeline

Answer: It is often very difficult to establish a planting beneath an established pine tree because the tree creates shade and robs the soil of nutrients and moisture. You might enjoy a large container such as a half barrel planter filled with bright annuals as well as an early spring display of early bulbs such as crocus and daffodils in an area where the sun actually reaches the ground beneath the tree. The addition of a bench, a bird bath, or some other ornament that you like could complete the picture.