The Q&A Archives: Viburnum "highbush Cranberry" Holes In Leaves,curling Shriveled

Question: i planted a hedge row of 6 highbush cranberry, viburnum last summer. the leaves have holes and some are curled and shriveled. i asked our local nursery. they said viburnum beatles, to spray with malithion. i sprayed mid may. three weeks later the new growth is dead, shriveled and many leaves are full of holes.what am i dealing with and how do i stop it. i do not want to loose these shrubs or have just sticks. with no foliage.

Answer: I'm sorry you are having trouble with the plants. I would suggest you take a sample and consult with your county extension (424-9485). They should be able to identify the primary problem and any other contributing factors (possibly aphids and/or frost or hail damage for example) and give you the most up to date information on how to safely control pests or diseases.