The Q&A Archives: Do Freesias Bloom More Than Once A Year?

Question: I planted some Freesias last winter, and they came up, and are blooming beautifully (despite having been totally flattened in a wind storm!). I have been pinching off the individual blooms as they die, to maintain the appearance of the plant, but there are green seed-pod looking things below at the bases of the flowers as well. Should these be removed, or should I leave them and just let the whole plant die back? Also, the bag that the bulbs came in indicates two blooming season; one in early spring and one in late summer. Does this mean that the Freesias will bloom again later this year, or does this indicate different blooming times depending when they are planted (the bag only shows one planting season, in fall)?

Freesias bloom in the spring if planted outdoors in the fall, or they'll bloom indoors in the fall if planted in the spring. In your gardening region they will bloom in the spring if you leave the corms in the ground all year around. When your Freesias have finished blooming the foliage will die down. The bulbs need a period of rest before they will be able to perform again.

Stop watering when foliage begins to yellow. When plants sprout again, you can resume regular watering. It sounds as though you are removing spent flower petals rather than the entire spent flower - the pods are where seeds will form and they're actually a part of the original flower. You can continue to pull off spent flowers, or you can wait until all the flowers on the stem fade and then cut the entire stem off. Some gardeners leave the spent flowers alone so that seeds will develop, drop to the soil and germinate. Freesia's are some of the most delightfully fragrant spring flowers around!