The Q&A Archives: Broken Tree Rose

Question: We had a very strong wind hit our area and it snapped my Tree Rose in half...I no longer have any part of the top section of this plant...have just a "stick" that is left. Will it start growing again or is it lost totally?

Answer: How disappointing! The rose could sprout new shoots, although it's doubtful. Another possibility is that it will sprout from the rootstock (below the graft) and you won't have the same variety. If you decide to give it a chance, make sure the wound has been given a clean cut with a pruning shears (so it's not jagged or bark ripped down the stem) and then seal the open wound with a wood glue to prevent the entry of rose cane borers. Note that when a plant is as stressed as this one now is, it becomes a target for pests and disease. Roses are troublesome in that arena already, so it might be just easier to replace the rose.