The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Growing Glads

Question: I have glads that are coming up now, about 5 inches tall. What I'd like to do is move them to a different area. Can I transplant them since they've already started to come up. They are not flowering yet, and it will be awhile till they do. Please advise.

Answer: This is a bit of an experiment and you may lose some, but if they need to be moved then they need to be moved. Water them well the day before, then dig them with as much soil as possible (take all the roots below the corm as best you can)and replant immediately in well prepared soil at the same depth as they grew before. Water to settle the soil and be prepared to stake them so they will remain firmly upright in the new location. Water as needed to keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy while they become reestablished. Good luck!