The Q&A Archives: Scotch Broom

Question: I am seeking information on the shrub called Scottish Broom. Any information you could give me would be helpful. Thanks!

Answer: Scotch Broom is Cytisus scoparius, a yellow-flowering evergreen, producing wandlike green stems that can reach up to 10'. It develops into an upright mass and can be quite aggressive. It's considered a tenacious weed from Seattle to San Diego. Much less aggressive species are lower growing and more colorful. 'Burkwoodii' has red blooms touch with yellow; 'Carla' has pink and crimson flowers lined in white; 'Lena' has lemon-yellow and red blooms, and 'Minsted' produces white flushed lilac and deep purple flowers. If you choose to plant Scotch Broom, hope you choose one of the more civilized plants!