The Q&A Archives: Identification Of Flower

Question: I'd like to find out the name of a flower that resembles a poppy. It is pink, turning white towards the center and yellow in the center. It has four petals. The veins in the flower are pink until it reaches the center where they are yellow. It starts blooming in the spring and blooms throughout the summer. It spreads so much we have to transplant them. The leaves are medium green, medium length, and the plant is about a foot tall. The bees really love them as they have a lot of pollen. I cannot detect any fragrance. Do you need further information from me in order to identify this flower?

Answer: Based on your description, I would guess it is Showy Primrose, Oenothera speciosa, a native plant. A web search on google using the Latin name will bring up some photos to see if I am right.