The Q&A Archives: Soaker Hose Mineral Build Up/care

Question: We use soaker hoses extensively on our garden planning. However, we must have very hard water as yearly, the amount of water out of them seems less and less. Is there any way to clean them and get the sediment out?

Thank you.

Answer: A company I used to work for sold soaker hose, and a strong acidic solution to clean mineral deposits from the hose. As I recall, most of the customers opted to purchase new hose rather than go through the process of cleaning out the old ones, especially since you had to wear protective gear (goggles and gloves) to use the cleaning solution. You can try an experiment with a sample piece of hose: soak it overnight in vinegar and rinse it well the next day. That might dissolve enough of the mineral to improve the performance of the hose. Also, it's helpful to cover your hose with organic mulch, as this reduces the rate at which mineral will precipitate from the water in the hot sun -- and it keeps the moisture in the soil longer. I wish I could be more helpful! Good luck --