The Q&A Archives: Cats Chewing Tops Off Vegetables & Marigolds

Question: We are having trouble with a stray cat getting into our garden and chewing the tops of our marigolds, tomatoes, and peppers off. The cat will just leave the top lying where it falls. We have found the cat paw prints, and even seen it twice, but have not managed to catch it! HELP!!!!!!
What can we put out to deter this??? thank you for your help! K. Clendaniel

Answer: I'm very sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you! This is our busiest time of year for questions, and we've been swamped. I hope by now you've found a solution to your annoying cat problem, but if not, here are some things to try. Use tomato cages around your tomatoes and peppers, and then wrap those with chicken wire. If your marigolds are growing in a row, surround them with a fence of chickenwire, too. If you'd like to try a repellent, one I've had good luck with has a citronella base.

You can also call animal control in your town. They may be able to trap the cat and have the Humane Society take care of it. Best of luck to you!