The Q&A Archives: Juniperus Horizontalis Plumosa Compacta "variegata"

Question: I recently came across a Juniperus horizontalis Andora Compacta at a big box retailer in a 1 gal. pot mixed in with several hundred normal Andora Compactas. The new foliage was creamy white/white. The plant stood out strongly against it's green cousins. Is there such a cultivar or is this a variation (most likely a sport)? The growth rate appears to be about 2/3 noraml rate.

Answer: I've found a reference to a white sport of J. horizontalis in the plumosa group called 'Leonard Janssen'. According to my reference (1998) it's the first of it's kind available commercially. If the one you found isn't labeled 'Leonard Janssen', then you either have found a new sport or the nursery mislabeled the plant. I hope this is helpful info! Here's the Web page I am referring to:

Juniperus page