The Q&A Archives: Epsom Salt For Peppers

Question: I read that a mild solution of epsom salt sprayed on peppers would produce more. My question is how much epsom salt to water do i use?

Answer: An all-purpose dilution rate is one Tablespoon of epsom salts to a gallon of water; this can be used as a foliar spray every few weeks or as a soil drench.

Basically, epsom salts are used as a source of magnesium and if applied, are used as a side-dressing or foliar spray as needed during the growing season. Certain crops, including peppers, tomatoes and roses, sometimes benefit from the additional magnesium. However, as long as your peppers are growing well and soil tests have not
indicated a lack of magnesium, it may not be necessary.

If you would like to run some soil tests to see just what (if anything) your soil is lacking, your local County Extension will be able to help you with both the tests and analyzing the results.