The Q&A Archives: Rabbits Eating My Plants

Question: Are there any specific plants, either through taste or fragrance, that will deter rabbits from eating my annuals. They have nibbled at or almost destroyed my oriental lilies, coreopsis, coneflowers and phlox. I prefer not to enclose the large area with a fence. Help?
Thank you!
Nancy Camp

Answer: I don't think there's a list of plants that rabbits won't eat, but there are a number of animal repellent sprays that would help deter rabbits from eating the flowers. Try 'Get Away' or 'Deer Away' available from Burpee. 'Deer Away' is efffective in deterring deer and rabbits and lasts 7-10 days without washing off. Natural scent repellents such as coyote and fox urine are also available from Burpee. Consider also interplanting your flowers with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or Dusty Miller. Bunnies tend not to like their aroma. Also, you can make your own animal repellent mixture by mixing a few teaspoons of cayenne pepper, and a dash of soap in a quart of water. Spray on the plants you want to protect. Once the growth is a few weeks old, the rabbits shouldn't be interested anymore. You can try to scare rabbits from your garden by burying empty pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground. The eerie whistle that results when the wind blows can scare them away. Sprinkling blood meal, ground hot peppers or human or dog hair around plants is also sometimes effective.