The Q&A Archives: Weeping Birch

Question: I have a Young's Weeping Birch 8' tall which stands up straight. I would like to train it to bend down, as in your catalog photo of a Young's Weeping Birch. How do I go about doing this?

Answer: You can follow the same technique I used with my weeping cherry tree - gently tie stones (or fishing weights) on the branches. They will bend down gracefully and if you leave the weights on until the bark develops on the branches, they will remain in a bent down position after you remove the weights. If the branches are very upright, begin the training with just a slight amount of weight and increase it gradually until you have enough weight attached to make the branches bend down as far as you'd like. If you try to make too great a change all at once, a branch could snap.