The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus Plant Ordered From Your Company Not Sprouting!

Question: My husband ordered a hisbicus plant (Lord Baltimore)from your company (acct.#11063724). Order sent 04/04/01. Planted according to directions. Plant seems to just be "setting there!" Plant still has not sprouted, although when checking roots, they do not seem to have died. Is this normal for first year hibiscus plants? Thank you for your help to my question.

Answer: Actually, this is normal for older plants as well as a newly planted "Lord Baltimore". These plants emerge very late in the spring and then grow fast to make up for lost time. In my garden, I have to mark their location so I do not forget where they are while we wait for them to come up. It is too soon to worry, especially since the roots look ok. To optimize conditions, make sure they soil stays moist. Enjoy your plant -- the blooms are fabulous!