The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes

Question: I live in New Jersey and am growing tomatoes in containers. It is just about the beginning of June and I have flowers on some of the plants already. I have been told that you should pluck early flowers for better production until mid-to late-mid June. Is that right, or is this early flowering ok?

Answer: If your plants seem healthy and are well established, it is not necessary to pick off early blooms. The idea of removing blooms on new plants would be more applicable to newly purchased transplants that come in the six pack complete with blooms; those that have been somewhat stressed in the sales process (eg in too small a pot) might particularly benefit from having the blooms removed so they can devote energy to rooting rather than fruiting.