The Q&A Archives: Planting Pepper Plants In Raised Garden With Blueberry And Raspberry Plants

Question: I have a raised garden with blueberry and raspberry plants. Can I plant green pepper plants in the same garden?

Answer: It might be possible, however there are some cautions. First, blueberries require an extremely acid soil and this would be excessively acidic for the peppers. Blueberries are also shallopw but wide rooted and resent root disturbance so you would not want to plant too close to them.

Raspberries on the other hand tend to grow like crazy and use up a lot of space, ranging far and wide. They will also create shade. Peppers however do best in full sun all day long.

If space is limited, peppers can be grown successfully in large containers. This would also allow you to more easily provide them with the rich soil and sun and moisture they need.