The Q&A Archives: Planting Raspberries

Question: I have a stand of raspberries in my garden that were not taken care of previously. They are very thin. I would like to plant some new ones but haven't been able to find any information on the who, what, when, where, how, etc. I am truly a novice from the world go so when you answer pretend you are talking to a 12 yr old who could be dangerous with a spade! Thanks and am looking forward to hearing from you. Deb Igoe

Answer: Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, Deb! It's the time of year when we're getting hundreds of questions a week...

National Gardening has an entire on-line guide to growing raspberries. Since the best time to plant is early in the spring, you have plenty of time to prepare for planting them next year. Here's the number of your county Ag. extension service. The Master Gardeners there can give you information on soil testing.

Preparing for Raspberries

Planting Raspberries

Raspberry Care & Pests

and everybody's favorite part:
Harvesting Raspberries

If these readings generate more questions, you can consult your Master Gardeners, or submit another question via the Scott's site. Best of luck to you!