The Q&A Archives: Abuut Palm Trees

Question: How do I take care of a Palm Tree ?

Answer: Since you're in New York State, I'm going to presume you have a houseplant palm. There are a number of different genera of plants that are commonly named palm, but as houseplants, they have the same general care:
Minimum winter temperature, 50F; for Kentia and Parlor palms, the minimum is 60F; keep them away from drafty areas. Light exposure -- partial shade (the light from a northfacing window, or a few feet from and east or west window is good). Excellent drainage is required...if your palm's pot is in a saucer or dish, don't let water collect there, as these plants are sensitive to excess moisture. They need high humidity for best growth, and appreciate being sponged clean occasionally. Repot when it's completely potbound and roots are starting to pop out of the soil. I hope this helps!