The Q&A Archives: Growing Onion S

Question: I've tried to grow the Burpee onions (UPC 41530 66373) (packed for 1999 lot 6) with no success. I?ve tried this package for the last several years by different soil, different temperatures, in the house, outside, different amounts of water, but I?ve not got one onion to grow. I?ve followed the directions on the package also.

What could I be doing wrong?

Dan Nocket

Answer: I'm sorry they aren't growing for you, Dan. I can give you links to detailed onion growing guides on the National Gardening Web site for you to consult, and perhaps these will help you do better in the future. One important note: onion seeds don't last...unlike other vegetable seed, most of which will germinate after several years of storage (in proper conditions), onion seed is viable only for the first year. Start with fresh seed, read these guides, and look forward to success with onions!

Onion Growth Cycle

Onions Varieties

Growing Onions

Soil Prep for Onions

Planting Onions

Working with Onion Transplants

Starting Onion Seeds Outdoors

Watering Onions

Weeding Onions

Onion Problems

Harvesting Onions

Storing & Preserving Onions